funded on Kickstarter
The SOMI-1 System
SOMI-1 is a highly precise sensor technology that provides performers, musicians and creators the opportunity of making music via movements. It consists of Bluetooth® motion sensors, a receiver hub and a smartphone app (as possible sound source). The sensors can be worn as wearables on the wrists and ankles, turning the user into an instrument.
How it works
The SOMI-1 motion sensors measure movements and accelerations in different directions and transform them into sound in real-time.
The motion data of the SOMI-1 sensors is received wirelessly via Bluetooth® 5 by the SOMI-1 hub, that connects to your sound source via USB or TRS-MIDI (e.g. your phone).
The sound can either be generated via the SOMI-1 smartphone app, which offers several different sound presets, or by any instrument or music software that is compatible with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface).
Create Sound via Movement
• 8 different movement parameters per sensor
• Up to 6 sensors simultaneously
• Easy usage, no need of musical or technical pre-knowledge
• Smartphone app as sound source
• Connectivity to music software & hardware as sound source
• Hub with MIDI interface (USB & TRS) wireless via Bluetooth® 5
The SOMI-1 App
• iOS & Android
• Several different sound presets
• Customizable movement settings (if wanted!)
Easy Usage, Unique Result – With the SOMI-1 app, sounds can be created and controlled directly from a mobile device (iOS and Android). By using the app's various sound plugins and corresponding presets, users can instantly and easily control sounds in combination with the SOMI-1 wearables without any pre-knowledge. If you want to go deeper into the settings, the app offers the opportunity to change movement mappings and add sounds.
You want to use our SOMI-1 motion sensors without our mobile app, but with your own sounds? No problem: SOMI-1 can be used as a common MIDI controller with any MIDI compatible software or hardware.
Each motion sensor parameter is sent as a (high resolution) MIDI Control Change message. Furthermore, each sensor can be used to trigger or play notes. You can either use the USB-MIDI ports or the TRS-MIDI port, making SOMI-1 compatible with traditional DIN-MIDI hardware as well.
• Processing of sensor data inside the SOMI-1 hub for:
• High performance data processing
• Low latency under 10ms (not perceivable for the human ear)
• High Precision (ca. 0.01 degrees)
• Range up to 50 meters (164 feet)
• Connectivity via USB-MIDI or TRS-MIDI
The Crowd-Funding Campaign
SOMI-1 will go live on Kickstarter on the 19th of September. This means that SOMI-1 will be available for pre-order at discounted prices during a 30 day crowd-funding campaign. Each pre-order helps us to realize the first production batch of the product. Thus, backers are not only customers, but also actively participate in the realization of the product and our vision. In the first days we will additionally offer a limited special early-bird price to thank our active community.